It's really not recommended to use a wireless connection for hi-def
(24-bit) music. Apart from the stuttering, you're going to be getting
numerous streaming errors that introduce artefacts and lower the
effective definition of what you are listening to. This may be less
evident if you don't use an external DAC, as the Touch's internal DAC
doesn't produce an audiophile sound anyway, to be fair (I'd compare the
sound quality to that of a budget CD player).

I have LOTS of hi-def stuff (24/96 stuff from HDTracks and also
PS3-SACD rips at 24/88.2 resolution). I have suffered occasional
stuttering in the past, but now - in the main - playback is faultless.
I have a hard drive directly connected to the Touch's USB input.
I'm running the tiny Squeezebox Server.
I limit the number of songs/albums loaded onto the Touch at any one
time. I move some of my albums into a folder named ".Not on Touchy"
(folder name starts with a full-stop) if it starts to struggle, and it
stops those albums being scanned, putting less strain on resources.
It's a bit of a shame that I cannot have all my albums available at any
one time, but it has solved the stuttering issue for me.

I also understand that using a good quality dedicated 3rd party server
(wired) is the best solution for stability and quality.

--
Dave1972