JohnSwenson;685571 Wrote:
> [...]
> noise goes right through the power transformer and into the mains. Even
> if you have a good regulator which blocks this noise from the circuit
> beeing fed from this supply, the noise still goes out to the mains.
>
> My design attempts to alleviate these issues in several ways, first it
> uses Schottky rectifiers, second it uses a choke based asymetrical PI
> filter after the rectifiers. The first cap is much smaller than the
> second cap. The result is a supply which has cunduction over almost the
> entire cycle, thus no large current spikes. Having the small first cap
> allows the large conduction angle, but it also allows the filter to not
> need nearly as much minimum current as a true choke input filter. What
> comes out of the filter is almost pure sine wave which is very easy for
> the regulator to deal with. In a tgraditional linear supply the sawtooth
> output has a lot of high frequencies which are much harder for simple
> regulators do deal with. The third part is a damping network across the
> power transformer which damps the winding resonance so it will not
> resonante from noise coming in from the outside world.
>
> The result of all this is a design which has extremely low noise
> injected back into the AC line and very low noise sent to the audio
> circuitry. It's simple, does not contain any custom components, no
> special "audiophile" parts, is easy for inexperienced DIYers to build.
> Is it the only design possible? of course not. Can a switching supply
> be made which can match this performance, almost certainly. But its not
> going to be nearly as simple, will probably need custom magnetics and
> could very well cost more money to make and will be way out of the
> range of a DIYer to build.
>
> I have tested many commercially available switching supplies (certainly
> not all), designed for many different applications, including many that
> come with audio devices including some very expensive pro audio
> equipment and NONE of them bettered the noise levels of this simple
> linear supply. So while it is certainly possible that a switching
> supply good do as well or better, it does not seem that this is common
> in the market place. It is also true that most linear supplies are also
> very bad as well, and many linear supplies are worse than the switching
> supplies that people are replacing. I have NEVER said that a linear
> supply is always better than a switching supply.
>
> If you would like to test these claims go ahead and build this design
> (its easy and not very expensive) and compare it to any of your
> switching designs, paying attention to what is injected back into the
> AC mains as well as what gets sent to the device, I'd be very
> interested to see how it stacks up with your switching desings. Oh
> yeah, and while you're at it try hooking them up to a Touch and see if
> you hear any differences.
>
> Here is the schematic of the design mentioned above:

John

Thankyou for the prompt and in depth analysis of your circuit and your
background. I have looked at the circuit and can find no reason why it
would not work. A simple but highly effective well thought out design.
Linear Tech devices take some real beating for quality comps.

I had made some meaurements on the 'Touch' supply as a 'Buck' convertor
and found emissions to be well below any level that would cause
problems. Maybe because of the low current drawn. Not quite sure I
would want the same design topology for a power amp (which are normally
not switchers).

>From my findings, I am still not convinced that a linear PSU can have
so much acoustic effect than a switcher....but that's the nature of
Audiophiles who can hear the difference by changing their mains plug to
one which costs >£500 regardless of what crap wiring is hanging behind
the wall.

Best Regards
WTP

--