sl_sjo;686164 Wrote:
> The judging disc is about 15 tracks. Do you know if the entire USB
> device is scanned, or if it just uses the FAT to index what's on there?
> The latter should be a lot faster.

Not every file is 'scanned'. The server won't scan Excel files, PDFs,
text files, etc. If there are only 15 audio files on the USB device,
only those 15 files are scanned. But it does 'look' at all files on the
drive. If there are 100,000 files, it will look through every directory,
then look at every directory entry, and it will skip any non-audio
files.

> The key here for me is simplicity and reliability. This is one of the
> reasons i've discounted CarPC's in general as I think it'd be too much
> of a risk. The SBT appeals to me as it's more of a boxed product, as
> such.

If this is a contest requirement, then I'd guess everyone else is
either using a deck with USB input or a car PC. I would think a car PC
with custom software could do this better than anything else.

> Do you have any more information on why the internal server is
> unreliable?

Biggest reason is that the Touch has too little CPU power and too
little memory for what it was originally intended to do.

I'd probably be most concerned with file scanning. If you know exactly
what the test flash drives contain, then you can of course test it out
beforehand. I'd be worried, though, if it could contain untested audio
files.

I'm not positive what the sequence would be in your scenario. When
there's no connected USB device or SD card then the server doesn't run.
If you plug one in you probably first have to wait for the server to
start, then the USB device to be scanned. There is a little bit of user
interaction, IIRC, so it's not just plug in the USB device, wait, and
then go.

Keep in mind also that he USB port is on the back. You're going to have
to extend the port to the front (using a short cable, I would guess) or
else physically handle the Touch to turn it around and plug something
in. You don't want to do that because you're going to have at least
three cables coming off the back, one of which (the power) is right
beside the USB port.

> I've had a flick through this forum and noticed some comments about FLAC
> playback is of higher quality when performed on the server rather than
> the SBT - do you know if there's anything scientific to back this up?

I wouldn't concern yourself with that at all. It may be true to some
very small degree, but I'd be amazed if anyone could tell a difference
on the world's finest car audio system. The theory is that the extra
processing required to run the server may have a negative effect on
sound quality due to increased internal RFI, EMI or maybe even UFOs.

--
JJZolx