I too have attached my old 3.5'  160 gb seagate barracuda internal ide
hdd by using a USB external enclosure with power supply . at present it
has nothing but 50gb of audio files compatible with squeezebox touch. I
have removed all type of artwork embedded or otherwise. So this hdd
contains only mp3, flac and wma files. For the past 24 hours it is
working beautifully. When music is not playing, it stops or spin down
after 10 minutes or so. At the touch of a button on my remote or
android mobile it jumps into action in a second. After overnight sleep
of 6 hours also, it was ready in a second.
After monitoring it for 2-3 days, I will put artwork of 150*150 into it
and then see what happens.

--
neeraj0272