Toby, thanks. That’s a lot to think about. Not being familiar with USB
External HDs of any description, I assume Sleep Mode is normal for
them, to save power and prolong life? Are there any particular
makes/models whose sleep mode isn’t going to cause the Touch to rescan
library every time they wake up? Or do I buy one which is permanently
on? …..Circa £100 pounds may be  good value for a 2 TB external hard
drive, but it’s a waste of money for me if it isn’t going to be an
optimal partner for the Touch. So I’m happy to pay more if it means a
good match…. Any specific recommendations for makes/models out there?

--
Jonathan*