Jonathan*;692931 Wrote:
> Thanks D. I realize now that a simple answer is probably not going to be
> of much value. Yes, I was hoping to use the Touch as a standalone unit
> (for internet radio and stored music files), but if my mucking around
> with it over the past days had taught me anything, it is that the
> darned thing is wedded to the Logitech Media Server on the PC, and any
> attempts to divorce it from the LMS and make it live a happy bachelor
> life are going to end in frustration and/or tears. …. Not going to stop
> me trying. …I can almost hear you saying ‘don’t say I didn’t warn
> you’…..

There are other options:

a sheevaplug, about the size of a "wallwart" power plug, it has a
computer inside which can run LMS. You plug it into an outlet, plug
your USB drive into the USB port and a USB cable to the Touch. It about
the same size as a power supply for a drive with its own power. Costs
about $100 and gives you a much better experience than the builtin
server.

A GoFlex Net: runs the same software as the sheevaplug, is a "docking
station" for drives. Use an ethernet cable to the Touch. Again around
$100.

These have much more memory and processor than what is in the Touch so
they don't have many of the problems. The server in the Touch is very
limited in order to fit  in its hardware limitations, the above options
don't have those limitations so they can run the server the way it was
designed to be run. They are still pretty wimpy computers so there are
still things they can't do that a full fledged mnodern computer can do,
but the experience will be WAY better than using the internal server.

Both the above run a package called squeezeplug which loads a version
of linux and LMS. The developers have put together a package which is
pretty easy to instal.

These options take so little power they are designed to be on 24/7,
whether you have to Touch on all the time or not.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson