I upgraded from 0.1 to 0.2 via the up-date all menu option on the Touch.
I was able to play via an AudioEngine D1 at 44.1, 88.2 and 96kHz,
connected via an ac-powered hub to the Touch. I switched the DAC off via
the front panel button, waited a few seconds powered it back on and
verified that I could play music.

A strange thing happened after leaving both Touch and DAC powered on for
the duration of my day at work. After coming home I found I could not
play music, even though both devices were still powered on from this
morning's experiments. I further noted that the USB hub's green
indicator light corresponding to the DAC was not lit. Power cycling the
DAC didn't cause it to be recognized, either. Nor did completely
unplugging the device from the hub and plugging it back in. Finally, I
pressed the reset button on the Touch and waited for the reboot to
complete. The green light on the hub corresponding to the DAC came back
on, and music started playing.

I am not sure whether the above experience means something has changed,
or whether I was just unlucky this particular day.

Anyway, thanks to Triode for this latest advance. I'll keep my eye on it
to see if I ever get a repeat of losing communications to the DAC over
USB.