Couldn't resist and bought the NAD M51 anyway.

Here is /var/log/messages with audio.codec, audio.output and
audio.decode debugging enabled. There is no /proc/asound/N20/stream0, it
fails earlier.

(Factory reset, EDO and experimental kernel installed)

According to NAD it should support newer Linux kernels.

> Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Centre.
>
> From what we have seen some of the latest Linux releases do support USB
> audio class 2.
>
> We would suggest to try some newer releases and in any case this would
> be software update on the Linux side to work with the M51.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Pam Anderson
> (tv)

|Filename: messages.txt                                             |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13351|