I have two systems, a home theatre with a Pioneer avr and a two channel
with integrated amp and cd player. I use WAV files because my Pioneer
avr will play that format directly from a USB portable hard drive, but
won't play flac, so I didn't have much choice about the format. I use a
Touch on the two channel system with a duplicate hard drive plugged in
directly. I use EAC for ripping.

I had the problem of "unknown artist" and a few other things so I used
Foobar to check the tagging info and found it varied a lot from file to
file. What worked for me was to edit the tags and simplify the info to
Artist, CD Title, Genre and track number. I don't have access to Foobar
at the moment but I think those were the categories.

I also think that folder structure is important. I found i need to have
an artist folder and then individual album sub-folders. On compilations
I needed to create an artist folder name and place the album folder in
it. For example, Atlantic records put out some jazz compilations of
various artists, one called Keyboards, another Best of the 50's. I had
to put the two under a folder I called Atlantic. I don't recall the
tagging I did, would have to check. Anyways, all is good now, the Touch
organizes everything as it should, so it is possible to use WAV files if
you have a reason to like I did.