bmor wrote:
> I have two systems, a home theatre with a Pioneer avr and a two channel
> with integrated amp and cd player. I use WAV files because my Pioneer
> avr will play that format directly from a USB portable hard drive, but
> won't play flac, so I didn't have much choice about the format. I use a
> Touch on the two channel system with a duplicate hard drive plugged in
> directly. I use EAC for ripping.
>
> I had the problem of "unknown artist" and a few other things so I used
> Foobar to check the tagging info and found it varied a lot from file to
> file. What worked for me was to edit the tags and simplify the info to
> Artist, CD Title, Genre and track number. I don't have access to Foobar
> at the moment but I think those were the categories.
>
> I also think that folder structure is important. I found i need to have
> an artist folder and then individual album sub-folders. On compilations
> I needed to create an artist folder name and place the album folder in
> it. For example, Atlantic records put out some jazz compilations of
> various artists, one called Keyboards, another Best of the 50's. I had
> to put the two under a folder I called Atlantic. I don't recall the
> tagging I did, would have to check. Anyways, all is good now, the Touch
> organizes everything as it should, so it is possible to use WAV files if
> you have a reason to like I did.

I chose wav because i did not know which format to choose. I ripped my
CDs using Windows Media Server and just chose one of the formats
(happened to be wav) that offered the best quality of the choices
offered. At this time I have no reason to prefer wav to flac. However,
since my CDs are 16 bit, I don't know that the audio quality of flac
would be any better than that of wav. I do, however, have some tagging
issues due (I think) to the limitations of the Windows Media Player
tagging system. I also have quite a few flac files that I have
downloaded (mostly vinyl rips) that are 24 bit. Since Squeezebox will
play both the wav and flac files I am not that concerned about leaving
(for now at least) most of the CD files in wav. At this time I am just
feeling my way through, trying to address the problems I encounter along
the way. One recent issue is the artist listing: some are listed first
name first and others are listed last name first. I can't find a way to
fix that problem.

Thanks for your reply.