Lo,

At 23:03 30/07/2012, you wrote:

trott3r wrote:
> They still are holding on to the 80s and early 90s model of them acting
> as a monopoly.

I think at this point it is the iTunes store that is closer to a
monopoly than any of the record companies.

Yes I suppose so.
I tend to forget about Apples ecosystem since i dont like lock-ins ;
thus Apple never appealed to me.

But i was thinking more along the lines of Hi Resolution music.
The record companies believe they are the only source for a band
and so they can shovel us poor sound quality and we will swallow it.

But with a bit of googling consumers are realising that they can get a 24bit
96khz high res rip from vinyl that hasn't been butchered by the loudness
wars. Thus the monopoly falls (at least for older music).

Martin

Running MorphOS v3.1 (July 2012) on a PowerPC Powerbook, Moderator of MiniDisc,amithlonopen,bwfc Yahoogroups