Hazim wrote:
> Thanks garym for your reply, I really appreciate your assistance and
> explanation.
>
> However, I am still not clear as to why we need the tiny server (or any
> server whatsoever) to just simply play the music from a USB drive? I
> mean, there are tons of media players around, to which you can just plug
> in your HDD via USB - and they are immediately ready to play anything
> from the attached HDD - be it music, movies, photos, etc.
>
> [...edited out...]
>
> Hazim

I suspect that these players don't provide any sort of database for the
music (just use file structure), and don't provide the background to do
things like connect with music services that require authorization.
But I'm certainly no expert on these other things.  However regarding
getting "better sound" by freeing up the computer within the Touch:
Very Unlikely.  I'd be shocked if most people, including me, could pass
a double blind test comparing a modified and unmodifed Touch.  Yes, you
can read a lot of stuff on this and other forums regarding the
unbelievable improvement in audio from various tweaks.  I'm afraid most
of this is pure bunk. But to each their own.