Hazim wrote:
> I mean, there are tons of media players around, to which you can just
> plug in your HDD via USB - and they are immediately ready to play
> anything from the attached HDD - be it music, movies, photos, etc.
I confess that I'm not that familiar with this particular species of
device. Could you give some examples? And do they do multi-room audio
(either sync'd or different streams)? Maybe you're not interested in
multi-room audio, but that has been a core feature of SB from the
beginning, although one might never know from the way it isn't marketed
as such.

Also, if it's any comfort, you're not alone. Others have asked for a
similar change in the SB paradigm, such as this thread:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?90147-Two-simple-ideas-to-make-Touch-standalone-with-TinySBS-(and-why-not-SBS-)-acceptable
. If you wade through, I think you'll find Erland's patch that
kidstypike mentioned in his response.