John - thanks for the detailed info. Your reply arrived while I was in
the middle of composing my previous follow-up.

One final question: if I were to load the correct firmware from a USB
stick, does that mean it need not connect to mysb.com at all? Is there
some step in the initial setup that gives you the option to skip
connecting to mysb.com and go straight to a local LMS?

The reason I ask is that I have never registered on mysb.com, and it
seems a bit daft to do that just to carry out a once-only setup.