cliveb wrote:
> John - thanks for the detailed info. Your reply arrived while I was in
> the middle of composing my previous follow-up.
>
> One final question: if I were to load the correct firmware from a USB
> stick, does that mean it need not connect to mysb.com at all? Is there
> some step in the initial setup that gives you the option to skip
> connecting to mysb.com and go straight to a local LMS?

I've never actually tried it, but I think there are some people that
have. I don't remember the results. And if it really becomes an issue
the code that does the connect to mysb.com is just lua code that CAN be
modified one way or another.

At boot time the Touch looks for a specific file on a USB stick or SD
card, that file could contain a patch script that modifies the lua code
that tries to connect to mysb.com. I don't know if anybody has actually
done it, but it certainly can be done. So even if mysb.com goes down,
the  comminity will figure out some way to boot a Touch from scratch.
(at least as long as USB sticks or SD cards exist!) (anybody rememebr 5
1/4 floppies? 8 inch floppies?)

John S.