The Squeezebox experience is incredible, when you start manipulating the
tagging as you wish.

The main tags that you need to decide how you will manage are are:
artist name
album artist name
album name
song name
genre
year

As long as you get those done right, you probably dont have to worry too
much about the rest.

Everyone has their own models for tagging, especially multiple tagging
eg two musicans on one song, or one artists name linked to album but
within the album one song has a different artist.

Then things like do you want a few broad genre names eg Jazz or should
you do it at the sub category level eg "Jazz-Funk", "Vocal Jazz", "latin
jazz" etc, or should you nest the categories and tag multiple genres
onto each song eg Jazz/Jazz-Funk/Swedish/Pop all .on the same song
(that's my approach personally)

I recommend Tag&Rename as the tagging tool of choice. Gold standard for
me when it comes to that. I went over to Mac and I am now leaving it,
because I am not happy with its lack of catering to tweakability,
including total absence of of Tag&Rename on that platform.