I would refine that to say that Track Gain is a bad idea for classical,
or really any music that has a wide dynamic range.  And by extension
LMS's Smart Gain would be a bad idea for random tracks of music -- or
playlists with single tracks from a variety of albums -- with wide DR,
although I don't know many classical buffs who go for mixed playlists.

But I don't see anything wrong with using Album Gain with classical or
other music with a wide DR. You're still preserving the DR that's in the
album, but you're just leveling out the average level from one album to
another. Granted that some entire albums are meant to be softer, but I
suspect those differences are minor compared to differences in average
levels that are purely artifacts of the production process.