Thanks for the all your comments - I'll look into a re-scan and
investigate the logs some time soon. I have been slowly tidying up tags
over the last year or so, but there is probably still some messiness in
there - my heart isn't really into spending an age on it since it's of
very limited value to me - other than the possibility that it's
impacting indirectly on this Music Folder problem

Again, I must stress that a wonderful, up-to-date tag database is far
less important to me than being able to navigate Music Folders smoothly
and without causing LMS hangs. I'd happily do a painful, slow full
overnight re-scan, say once per quarter, if I could only stop this
wretched auto-scan on folder navigation.