Mnyb wrote:
> Exactly , scanning files over the network is slow even if the server is
> fast .
>
> Almost no NAS comes close to 1g tranfer speed more often less than 100mb
> in practice, and even if they did it still much slover than SATA or
> actually even USB can be faster .

I see.  Previously I had my friend helping me to install Squeezecenter
to my QNAP.  I recall the performance was much better with about 30,000
tracks.  Problem is I don't think I will be capable of reinstalling LMS
to the QNAP.

Of course I can always buy one more FireWire drive for my MacMini and I
that that should really fly.

One thing I don't understand is after finished scanning, access to the
database which is local should not be slow.  Espccially considering that
the system is quite capable of playing even 24/192 files over the LAN
vey smoothly.