CharlieG wrote:
> agentsmith (The Matrix?),
>
> Could you please comfirm this is your setup.
> You have LMS running on a Macbook Pro, your music files are located on a
> NAS, you access the NAS over your home network, and your Mac Mini has
> nothing to do with Squeezebox or LMS.
>
> I think if you had the music files on an external hard drive plugged
> into the Macbook Pro, the performance would be faster.  Is there any way
> you could test this.  This test would the eleminate the posibility of
> slow network access between LMS and the music files as the cause of the
> problem.
>
> Please don't tell Neo we are trying to help you :-)

agree. I suspect it is the "files across the network" that is slowing
scanning and browsing down.  To answer some prior questions:

1. Vortexbox is a complete operating system based on fedora linux.
Installing it would wipe out the OS on your PC. So that's probably not
what you want. It is good on a dedicated media PC.  But running LMS on
any decently powerful computer (i.e., NOT a low powered NAS) with
attached USB drive should be just fine (Mac, PC, linux based, etc.)
2. I can scan 70,000 files on both my Vortexbox Appliance (small PC
running VB) or my Win7 laptop with files attached via USB 2.0 external
HD and in both cases the clear and rescan full scan takes about an hour.