Yep I do have a HP Microserver running Linux that works pretty well
using LMS 7.8 beta (some development is ongoing ) low power runs all the
time I'm home otherwise booted up by WOL .

This works in my scenario no iTunes for music ( i dont use that ) and
multiroom with synced players with iTunes cant provide I already use
iPads for the control .
Using spotify with triodes plugin so i can have in all rooms . The
bandcamp plugin ?
So iTunes with airplay would not cut in my enviroment .

So a playlist with a mix of local files spotify files deezer files and
bandcamp files playing in 3 rooms :) where do i get that .

I also use smartmix plugin this mixes my local files with spotify on the
fly and such things I also thinks LMS media organisation is much better
than iTunes or the iTunes player UI imo .
I'm forced to use iTunes to maintain my phone and iPad but i find the
whole program less inutive nad user friendly than LMS ? People only
thinks iTunes is easy because they are used to it and thinks thats the
way music players works .
The whole device handling and syncing library’s is just silly imho
(whytf can't i just drop a bunch of files on my phone )

And iTunes dont do flac and i would not let iTunes or WMP near any audio
files the softwares are to keen to "take over" and fix stuff and
"b*llo*cks" up your metadata or folder structure (it only takes one
mistake in the settings )

I dont think Airplay is perfectly lossles or bitperfect in all
situations 24bit files anyone ? but it is handy for spotify or youtube
etc from friends phones (i'm getting an apple tv for that ).

The competition Sonos has another bunch of limits that I cant live with
, no handling of multiple artist or mutiple genre tags or 24bit audio or
the library size I'm pushing 41000 files and Sonos bottoms out at 50k
somewhere depending on how you tagging is done .

We can stack up multiple reasons for why some of us are still seing
Squeezebox as the only option (for now) , but that’s for another tread
(search for them they are all over the forum )

BUT ANYWAY OVER TO THE EXPERIMENTS :

My player actually starts to play the album again after a short power
outage , but won't do it for a prolonged out-take .
So it survives a reboot .

Notes I do try with local files , a radio stream who knows what happens
then to many variables .

I have static IP everywhere in the fixed squeezebox insallation

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)