PasTim wrote:
> With EDO there are some buffer size change facilities accessed via the
> Touch menu (tot Squeezeplay, nor the web GUI).
>
> Go to Settings, Advanced, Digital Output.
>
> There are a variety of 'tweaks' here.  You should use "Select Audio
> Output" and set it to Digital Only.
>
> Beyond that, there are further updates to the kernel (linux operating
> system in the Touch), and the buffer tuning parameters.  I haven't
> played much with these, but others have, and are much discussed on this
> and other related forum threads.  You shouldn't be able to do any harm,
> although if downloading and installing new kernels goes wrong (it never
> has for me, but you never can tell) you might have to reset your Touch
> and install EDO again.

OK.  I'm with you so far PasTim.  I have been in the Digital Output menu
and have used the "Digital Only" selection.  When I am connected to my
DAC via USB, a 3rd additional option shows up on the "Select Audio
Output" page.  It recognises and identifies my NAD D 1050 DAC.  I have
to select that option when using USB.  I don't get a signal if I select
"Digital Only".  At this point, it connects well.  I hear a little
"signal click" in my DAC and the kHz indicator lights up.  I can play
files just fine with the exception of my 192 dropout issue.

When playing via optical or coax, I use the "Digital Only" option.

As far as the Advanced options for Digital Output, I do see a list of
options.  One of them is the "Digital Output Kernel Update".  It doesn't
give me different kernel options, just allows me to run an update, which
I've recently done.

There are 2 "(Experimental)" options available.  "Kernel Idle Option"
and "Buffer Tuning".  One is to avoid "low power during playback" and
the latter may actually be a possible solution to my problem?  You can
choose "Large" buffer tuning---it says "avoid if synchronised" next to
it (not sure what that means).  You can choose "Small"---it says "may
cause dropouts" next to it, so I'll avoid that one!  There are more
choices too---"Large and Randomized CPU", "Very Large (USB Only)", "Very
Large + Randomized CPU (USB Only)".

Right now it's already preselected to "Default Settings", the first
choice on the list.  Should I just play around and see?

Glad you lead me down this road.  Didn't see the buffer page!  Any
thoughts are appreciated!