get.amped wrote:
> I'm not advocating that anyone do this...
>
> @castalla - considering that you are running multiple (?) linux hosts
> and are using netscan, it's not a huge leap to think that you are
> familiar with basic principles of TCP/IP networking, even if you haven't
> implemented them yourself. Perhaps it would be better if you let us know
> what you want to accomplish. Specifically, why is it important to you to
> be able to address your Squeezeboxen by host name instead of IP address?

Ah ... thereby lies a tale!

I recently added a wifi repeater ... previously I was able to label the
devices in netscan using the mac addresses.  With the repeater, devices
using that access get the same mac address (??).  With upto 15 devices,
I can't recall  what is what!

I guess the easiest would be to give all the SBs fixed memorable ip
addresses - then I'd stand a chance of knowing what is on the network
and what isn't

It's that simple - a memory which is rapidly becoming inaccurate.

Touch - Muse M50 EX TPA3123 T-Amp Mini - Acoustics Q10 speakers
Logitech Radio
Logitech UE Smart Radio
Raspberry Pi + Squeezeplug LMS + Squeezelite - Logitech Mini Boombox
speaker
Cubieboard + Debian 7 + LMS 7.8.1 + Squeezelite - Soundwave SW100
bluetooth speaker
O2 Joggler + SqpOS + Aune X2 T-amp + Mordaunt Short ms-3.40 speakers
IBOX + Debian 7 + LMS 7.8.1