castalla wrote:
> Ah ... thereby lies a tale!
>
> I recently added a wifi repeater ... previously I was able to label the
> devices in netscan using the mac addresses.  With the repeater, devices
> using that access get the same mac address (??).  With upto 15 devices,
> I can't recall  what is what!
>
> I guess the easiest would be to give all the SBs fixed memorable ip
> addresses - then I'd stand a chance of knowing what is on the network
> and what isn't
>
> It's that simple - a memory which is rapidly becoming inaccurate.

The wifi repeater should simply create a bridge between it and the other
wifi access point/router. The devices that connect to it still have
their own individual and (supposedly) unique Media Access Control (MAC)
addresses, but maybe the repeater is somehow obfuscating them. If that
is the case, it would still need to make DHCP requests on behalf of the
devices connected to it. Depending on what the capabilities are of the
device providing DHCP services on your network (probably your broadband
router), you could make DHCP reservations for all your known devices,
assuring that they always get the same IP address without having to
statically assign them in the devices' own configurations. You will
still have some maintenance to do periodically because you will want to
remove reservations for devices that are no longer in use.

Win7Pro(x64)[3.3Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD system, 15TB storage], LMS
7.7.3 -> Logitech Squeezebox Classic V.3 -> Cambridge Audio DacMagic ->
NAD C160 -> 2 x NAD C272 -> Quad 22L2