guidof wrote:
> In my system, the Benchmark is shown (on the SBT) as the DAC and in the
> information panel, the DAC is shown as playing "via a hub", I.e., the
> REGEN. So, the REGEN is transparent to the SBT, but I'm not sure if it's
> also transparent to Squeezelite.
I just wonder, sometimes, with all these additional boxes, cables, power
supplies and so on, whether something simpler may have some benefits.

I've got a reasonably good UPnP renderer (Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC) that
I'm driving direct from LMS using suqeeze2upnp (now a plugin called
UPnP/DLNA bridge).  So, using an ethernet connection that's the same as
I would have for the Touch, I skip several bits of kit, cables, power
supplies, digital signals down coax etc.

Has anyone with 'good ears' (not me) tried some blind tests with
something similar?  I know UPnP is not popular, but I suspect that's
because the standards are a bit iffy and support somewhat variable.
However, given a decent DAC and build behind it, isn't this worth more
people investigating?

LMS 7.9 on VortexBox Midi, Xubuntu 14.04, FLACs 16->24 bit,
44.1->192kbps. LMS & Squeeze2upnp to MF M1 CLiC (to MF amp & ESLs) &
Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.  Minimserver (server) & upplay (control
point) to same renderers & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.  Squeezelite to
Meridian USB Explorer DAC to speakers/phones.  Wireless Xubuntu 14.04
laptop with firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with
Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.   Have a Touch
with EDO, and a spare, but don't use.