OK. I did do the hard reset, which went off with no ill effects. (Since
several people responded and nobody brought up any issues with the
reset, I figured it was probably pretty safe. Can't be too careful,
since there's no such thing as returning a bricked player to Logitech at
this point.)

After the hard reset, I forced a firmware upgrade, which in this case
downgraded to 7.7.something. Thereafter, EDO installed properly and the
splash screen does now display the "not supported" warning. My chosen
24/192 track plays and the bitrate displays correctly. So all good at
this point.

When I navigated off the home page after EDO had installed and rebooted,
the Touch tried to upgrade its firmware to 7.8.whatever. Which is weird.
If the server is at 7.8.0, why did it want to "upgrade" to 7.7.whatever
earlier? In any case, not wanting to mess with a running engine, I
declined the offer :-) The other Touch is running 7.8.whatever, so I'm
not convinced right off that this was a firmware issue. But, like I
said, why mess with a running engine...

Thanks guys!