DanSmedra wrote:
> For skeptics and naysayers, here's a technical article by Benchmark
> audio...just down the road from me.  Is MQA DOA? (Dead On Arrival).
> https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/163302855-is-mqa-doa

Thanks - it does make some good points.

-"At the present time, I remain skeptical of the sonic advantages of MQA
and even more skeptical of its commercial viability. There is no
question that MQA degrades the quality of the audio for users who do not
have an MQA decoder. The compatible portion of the MQA signal is
equivalent to about 13 to 15 bits at a sample rate of 44.1 kHz or 48
kHz. The loss of resolution is due to down sampling, dither noise, and
pseudo-random noise from the high-frequency compression channel which
occupies the lower 8 to 11 bits. When fully decoded, the resolution of
MQA is limited to 17 bits at 96 kHz. Miska has shown that an MQA file
actually occupies more space than a lossless 96 kHz 18-bit PCM file! Why
settle for 17 bits when you can have an 18-bit file in a smaller
package? MQA may be promising a sonic benefit and file-size benefit that
it cannot deliver!"-

and

-"Note that the original 24-bit signal is never recovered. MQA does not
losslessly preserve the original 24-bit signal. For this reason MQA is
not truly a lossless system. At best, the MQA system losslessly conveys
17-bits at 96 kHz. Unfortunately this very complicated process is less
efficient than lossless FLAC compression of the 17-bit file. It is also
only slightly smaller than a FLAC version of the original 24-bit signal.
MQA does not make it easier to stream 96 kHz files. With a 96 kHz 18-bit
input, FLAC compressed MQA requires higher data rates than FLAC
compressed PCM while delivering lower quality than 18-bit losslessly
compressed PCM. MQA also requires special mastering and special playback
hardware. Conventional FLAC compression requires neither."-

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953