dasmueller wrote:
> Now I have some questions
>
> 1. What  programs would tell me what neighbors are using and what
> channel ?
>
> 2. How do I tell what channel my router is using ?
>
> 3. Currently I have AT&T DSL service w a Motorola NVG510 router. If I
> were to look for a new router is there a site I can use to compare how
> powerful other ones might be.
>
> Still OK now just want to be smarter. Thanks again
>
> Don

Q1 and Q2 - I use what kidstypike uses - wifi analyser on android. As
you see in his post you can see your channel as well. The nice thing
about a mobile app is you can walk around to see the effect on your and
other's signal.

Q3 - as I mentioned before, Networking and equipment is not my strong
suit, but my dad had used a Asus RT-N66U (the three antenna style) to
cover his aircraft hanger (his hobby) so I bought one and it was a
substantial improvement over my DSL provided gateway. Our area has since
gotten fiber optic, so I bought a Asus RT-AC66U. The nice thing is both
are reasonable, cheap and plentiful on ebay, and you can use them as a
repeater, that is your modem communicates to the second (repeater) modem
to your device, effectively allowing your touches to be "closer".

So you could buy one, try it out, and if still not happy, either use it
as a repeater with your dsl modem, or just buy another. If you do decide
to go this route, and your dsl supplied equipment is a modem/router
combo (gateway), look to see if you can put their gateway into bridge
mode (effectively disables their modem) or, just leave as is and turn
off their wifi radios in their settings. I had dsl for years and I had
both setups.

Then depending on your living situation (own or rent, basement or not)
there is always running an ethernet cable. Not something we look to do,
but my sb's that are on ethernet (along with my roku) are just rock
solid.

Good luck;
Jim

Jim