On Fri, Sep 27, 2024 at 4:37 PM Ray Gardner <rayg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 3:58 PM enh <e...@google.com> wrote:

> authentication as
> includes you
> authentication
> account

> 7th. I still
> https://landley.net/toybox/git/> but

> I haven't

> with github
> >>
> >> I asked on mastodon and got sourcehut.org suggested, haven't looked
> yet. We set
> >> up a local gitea for j-core.org a while back but never published it
> because it
> >> scales TERRIBLY (2 gigs ram per active connection!) Half of what
> github's used
> >> for is bugzilla, probably need to find one of those...
> >

> > before you give up on github, can't you use a security key for the 2FA?
> presumably
> > you wouldn't have the same objections to that that you do to your phone
> number?
>
> Is the only objection to the 2fa requirement that Rob doesn't want to use
> his phone number for an SMS code?

(i'm not certain, but phone number and credit card are two things he's
_explicitly_ mentioned in the past. and certainly "give us a valid credit
card number" was where i gave up trying to set up a gitlab account
personally.)

> I just set up 2fa on my github account using Bitwarden Authenticator (FOSS
> for Android and IOS).  It was pretty easy. Installed the app, told GitHub
> to set up 2fa using the app, scanned a QR code shown on the laptop with my
> phone, entered the code shown on the app into the laptop, and I was in and
> set up.
>
> I logged out and back in. After entering username and password, I was
> prompted for a code. The auth app on the phone gave me the code without
> having to scan or do anything. Entered it and I was in.
>
> Pretty easy really. Unless there are other objections to setting up 2fa, I
> think it's much easier than moving to a different git host.
>
> (BTW I saved the recovery codes into my password manager and
> also set up a backup auth method for extra safety.)

(yeah, and that's one way in which your idea is better than mine --- good
security keys are expensive!)