On Nov 9, 2007 10:57 AM, Tyrone Hed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Unix: which flavor of unix?

Ubuntu derived, also GoboLinux 013.

> Python: which version of python?

Python 2.4.3 here and at home.

> Trac: which version of trac?

0.10.3

> ClearSilver: which version of ClearSilver?

I don't recall, sorry.  Any way to find out post-install?  It was a
version contemporary with when 0.10.3 was installed.

> Which DB?

SQLite 3.

> Telling me you did it on Unix without ANY details at all is akin to saying
> "Naa Naa Na Na Nah". It's trumpeting your success without trying to allow
> others to also achieve that same success.

Well, just claiming that "Trac is hard to install," and "I'm giving
up," without giving any indication of what the problem actually IS, or
giving actual error messages to back the claims, is tantamount to
saying, "Trac sucks because I can't make it work, and by extension,
everyone else who uses it also sucks, and oh by the way, nobody else
is going to use it either, despite the hard evidence to the contrary."
 It's trumpeting failure without trying to allow others to attempt to
help diagnose the problem.

I should point out that in both of my cases, I'm letting Trac do its
own web serving.  I'm not using Apache.  My web hosting provider,
however, does have a Trac installed using Apache, but I don't have any
knowledge of what he did to get it.  It didn't take him that long
though, only about one day from the time I requested it to the time I
got a reply saying it was installed.  I can only presume that it "just
worked" for him too.  He runs FreeBSD on his web server.  He did have
problems where Trac wouldn't respond after one of his automated update
scripts had completed, but it turned out to not be an issue with Trac
per se, but with SQLite.  It would segfault whenever using something
called FST2 or something like that.  I'm not sure precisely what it
was.  My service provider removed that component, and it is working
fine again.

At any rate, I'm digressing. If neo_cgi.so isn't being found, then
that means that your PYTHONPATH is not correct at the time the website
is being hit.  This is most often the case when you have multiple
versions of Python installed.  You might invoke "python" and it will
bring up 2.4.3 at the command-line, but there is no guarantee that
Apache will be doing the same.  Make sure you're invoking the correct
version of Python.  Also, having knowledge of what the Python
exception is saying will also help.

Instead of complaining about Trac, maybe you should debug this at the
Python level instead, as a quick Google search seems to suggest this
is the case.

Apologies of this information was provided from before, but I just
haven't seen it -- I apparently do not get all messages on this
mailing list.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II