For some background on why these sorts of problems arise when using
Apache, read:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/ApplicationIssues

In particular sections:

  Access Rights Of Apache User
  Application Environment Variables
  User HOME Environment Variable

This documentation is from mod_wsgi, but same issues apply.

One can generally avoid the problems by using mod_wsgi daemon mode and
running the daemon mode process as same user as you, rather than
Apache user.

Graham