> Question: Does this sound like functionality that can be made
> available via Trac (and possible plugins) ?
Yes - if you use Subversion: you'll need the trac-commit-hook script
which is available from the /contrib directory

> If so, what does the work process look like? Would I need 3rd party
> plugins? If so, Are those also free?
No plugin, only the script (that you may need to tailor to your needs)
which is invoked from Subversion.

The "process" is quite simple: the commit log message should start
with some keywords and a ticket number.

HTH,
Manu