I am trying to add TICKET_CLOSE as a new permission.  I tried what was
listed in this thread from the archive (shown at end of this posting)
but it does not work for me.
The thread said it was a bad idea to "hack" the database with the
"INSERT INTO permission" commands and said to use a simple plugin.

I stopped our apache2 driver.
I added a mypermissions.py into our <track environment>/plugins
directory, here is the contents:

# mypermissions.py
#
# Use to add other permissions.
#
# Using to add a TICKET_CLOSE permission.
#
# Drop this file in the plugins directory, restart the server,
# and the permission(s) should be available.  According to
# what I have found in the Trac Users group under Google groups.

from trac.core import Component, implements
from trac.perm import IPermissionRequestor

class MyPermissions(Component):
    implements(IPermissionRequestor)

    def get_permission_actions(self):
        # return ('MY_FIRST_PERM', 'MY_SECOND_PERM')
        return ('TICKET_CLOSE')

-------------------------------------
I modified the trac.ini [components] and [ticket-workflow]; here are
the diffs:

> diff trac.ini trac_TICKET_CLOSE.ini
34a35
> mypermissions.* = enabled
181c182
< close.permissions = TICKET_ADMIN
---
> close.permissions = TICKET_CLOSE
186c187
< close_new.permissions = TICKET_ADMIN
---
> close_new.permissions = TICKET_CLOSE

I restarted apache2 and things did not work.
I got an "Oops... " when trying to view an issue that said,  "Trac
detected an internal error:  IndexError: string index out of range"

The trac.log file had this added after attempting to view the issue:

2009-02-13 07:23:27,291 Trac[main] ERROR: string index out of range
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/Trac-0.11.2-py2.5.egg/
trac/web/main.py", line 432, in _dispatch_request
    dispatcher.dispatch(req)
  File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/Trac-0.11.2-py2.5.egg/
trac/web/main.py", line 204, in dispatch
    resp = chosen_handler.process_request(req)
  File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/Trac-0.11.2-py2.5.egg/
trac/ticket/web_ui.py", line 181, in process_request
    return self._process_ticket_request(req)
  File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/Trac-0.11.2-py2.5.egg/
trac/ticket/web_ui.py", line 530, in _process_ticket_request
    get_reporter_id(req, 'author'), field_changes)
  File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/Trac-0.11.2-py2.5.egg/
trac/ticket/web_ui.py", line 1168, in _insert_ticket_data
    fields = self._prepare_fields(req, ticket)
  File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/Trac-0.11.2-py2.5.egg/
trac/ticket/web_ui.py", line 1080, in _prepare_fields
    TicketSystem(self.env).eventually_restrict_owner(field, ticket)
  File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/Trac-0.11.2-py2.5.egg/
trac/ticket/api.py", line 320, in eventually_restrict_owner
    .get_users_with_permission('TICKET_MODIFY'):
  File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/Trac-0.11.2-py2.5.egg/
trac/perm.py", line 384, in get_users_with_permission
    for child in action[1]:
IndexError: string index out of range

---------------------------------
When I used Trac / Admin / Permission and looked at the permission
selections, I saw things like:

BROWSER_VIEW
CHANGESET_VIEW
CONFIG_FILE
EMIAL_VIEW
FILE_VIEW
LOG_VIEW
  and it goes on

I quickly stopped apache2, restored the trac.ini to what it had been,
and removed mypermissions.py and .pyc files from the plugin directory
and restarted apache2.

I do not understand what the mypermissions.py file is doing.

What am I missing or doing wrong?  Is the mypermissions.py script
correct?  Is my entry in the script for 'TICKET_CLOSE' correct?  Do I
need brackets instead of parens since I am only adding one value?

Thanks in advance.