Thank you for helping with this!
I restarted the CF service, turned that option off, cleared the cache,
and ran everything again.  The transferFactory.init() method still
took 100% of the CPU for about 60 seconds, but loading the first
object (transfer.get("instance",1)) only took 55 seconds of 100% CPU
instead of 240 seconds.

So, the loading of the data definitely went faster.  I'm still
concerned about CPU utilization though.  Is it common for it to take
all of the CPU for such an extended period of time during init() and
also if loading several objects for the first time?

-Denver