I upgraded to the newest JVM, and it still took 60 seconds for the
initial transferFactory.init() and 60 seconds to load the first object
(and its few related objects)...  The CPU was near 100% that whole
time.

Here is what the CF Administrator reports about the JVM now:

Java Version     1.6.0_14
Java Vendor      Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java Vendor URL http://java.sun.com/
Java Home        c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_14\jre
Java File Encoding       Cp1252
Java Default Locale      en_US
File Separator   \
Path Separator   ;
Line Separator   Chr(13)
User Name        SYSTEM
User Home        C:\Documents and Settings\Default User
User Dir         C:\ColdFusion8\runtime\bin
Java VM Specification Version    1.0
Java VM Specification Vendor     Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java VM Specification Name       Java Virtual Machine Specification
Java VM Version  14.0-b16
Java VM Vendor   Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java VM Name     Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM
Java Specification Version       1.6
Java Specification Vendor        Sun Microsystems Inc.
Java Specification Name  Java Platform API Specification
Java Class Version       50.0

What do you think?

-Denver