On Do, 2008-05-29 at 10:19 -0400, Suresh Chandrasekharan wrote:
> Thanks Lars. Sorry for late reply.

Me too...

> I would like to have this  script accessible from the web interface so
> that  this feature is known to people and they will use it (instead of
> being a yet another utility which's difficult to find)
>
> The 3 steps you have outlined summarizes it well(with the right
> username/password in case they are needed).
>
> I think all RCSs allow us to bringover a child WS and delete the
> unneeded files/dirs(non po files in this case) and commit only the files
> we are interested in to the parent WS, so there may not be much storage
> overheads for unneeded project files. But for some RCSs like hg/git
> initially the whole project may have to be brought over.
>
> I will start working on a script and post updates issues here...
>
> Regards,
> Suresh

Hallo Suresh

This sounds quite interesting. A few comments:

We should look at perhaps reusing some code of Transifex. It does at
least some of these things already. You can contact Dimitris Glezos -
I'm sure he'll be very eager to help. We have already started talking
about sharing some code and working towards integration/coupling of some
sorts.

Our current version control integration now supports symbolic links to
the checkouts, so we can have a checkout somewhere else, and symbolic
links to the po/ directory of the checkout elsewhere on the system (or
individual files). Lars, please correct me if I'm wrong. I think this
would solve your concern of having to fetch a whole project from the
version control system (unless diskspace or bandwidth is your concern).

Over the life cycle of a project, being able to update the local copy
used by Pootle is quite important, and not trivial. Pootle has code to
update carefully and merge in local changes so that a version control
conflict won't happen. We need to simplify this and move it to the
Translate Toolkit. Many people would like to script this sort of
functionality as part of a periodical update from version control, for
example. This would solve your concern of "auto refresh" if I understood
your correctly.

I'm really interested in being able to do all of this. One of the
shortcomings in the current state of affairs is the ability to add new
files to the version control system.

Keep well
Friedel