I realise some people might be in the dark as to what we are discussing.
We are talking about Virtaal, a new offline translation tool we are
releasing soon:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/virtaal/index

On Wo, 2008-10-08 at 11:48 +0800, Tom Verlinden wrote:

> Tuesday, October 7, 2008, 4:12:20 AM, Dwayne Bailey wrote:

> DB> I'd seriously give Virtaal a try, its early days yet and its
> showing
> DB> great promise.

> I did download the Virtaal setup for Windows (I'm sorry to say that is
> still my OS) and played around with it some.

We definitely intend Virtaal to be perfectly usable on Windows as well.
There are a few small issues we are still sorting out on the
translate-devel mailing list and Bugzilla.

> The first thing I noticed was that part of the user interface (I
> should probably say 'part of the menu') was translated to Dutch, and
> part of it wasn't.

Some of these translations are part of the GTK+ library (Open, Quit,
About, etc.), but the rest come from Virtaal itself. Since we are only
now starting to translate it, people will still see it in English until
they can help us with translations :-)

>                       So, the first thing I tried was to load the packaged
> *.mo files in
> the 'nl' folder and immediately got an error (error: unpack requires a
> string argument of length 8).

We also got this error on Windows, and it has already been fixed for the
release.

> Next, I tried to view a couple of  PO files and was pleasantly
> surprised. Once I got used to the interface, it was pretty
> straightforward. I especially like the feature that allows you to move
> up and down through the selected category or search results with Ctrl
> +Up and Ctrl+Down.
> I haven't done any editing yet, but will try that soon (I'd like to
> translate the virtaal POT file I downloaded), to see some of the other
> features in action.
>
> For now, let me congratulate you on this very promising piece of
> software. I will definitely add my suggestions to the wiki.
>
> Tom

Thank you for the nice feedback. I'm sure you will like what is in stall
for Virtaal. I guess in Dutch you would like to call it "Voortaal" :-)

Keep well
Friedel

--
Recently on my blog: