I had mentioned this problem here before and Wynand tried to help, but I
suppose it was not the pootle.prefs file (Pootle 1.2) causing trouble.
This is just a hunch, but could this error be related to the
pootle-project-lang.prefs file within each language folder in a project?

Mine look like this:
----
# Pootle preferences for project pnforum, language zh_TW

rights:
   default = u'view, suggest, archive, pocompile'
   nobody = u'view'

----

The same file in the Pootle project is basically empty, only has the
first, commented line.

And there is one more strange thing: I can not switch the interface
language from the web. I have English and Chinese (Taiwan) enabled. I
can select the other language in my account settings, but all that
changes is that the characters will become smaller if I try to switch to
English, or they become larger if I try to switch to Chinese. The
language displayed however does not change and depends on what I have
set as default...

Regards,

Olaf