G'day Chris

> The  challenge in trying to
> leverage this without extensive reference to context is that many short
> strings can have ambiguous meanings
>
> Left (remaining) or Left (direction), Clear (erase) or Clear (transparent)
> and so on.

Yes, I also found this in the short frequency words lists I created for
the Decathlon (see my mail to Asiri).

I think the most practical solution would be to create such a list
anyway, and then try to find as many different meanings for each word,
and include all those meanings in the list.  You'll end up with meanings
that are not common, but at least you'll cover all the meanings that are
important.

For example, if the list contains "file", you might put both computer
file and nail file in the word list, even though nail file is very
unlikely to occur in a software translation.  In this way, translators
(who must use these lists intelligently) can easily spot the appropriate
meaning.

Samuel

--
Samuel Murray