The FSF's argument against the regular BIOS is that the code is no longer on a ROM and that "once in a while the manufacturer suggests installing another BIOS, which is available only as an executable".

As I understand it, the Free BIOS problem is not really a problem and the quickest fix would be to reintroduce the ROM BIOS and not rewrite the whole thing just to feel better.

Also, since writing a BIOS is a "non-trivial task", do you seriously think that the coreboot BIOS users actually perform upgrades on the regular basis like on OS or applications?; I seriously doubt that any of the Free BIOS users actually perform BIOS upgrades, even rarely.