Unity is not non-free. The problem is most users have NVidia/ATI graphics and the free drivers don't have any/good enough 3d acceleration for it. You should be able to run Unity with Intel graphics though and free drivers since they have 3d acceleration support.

While I'm not saying MATE does not have an active development community I think Cinnamon is where Linux Mint is going. That was the impression I got from Clem (the lead developer of that project) when I spoke with him a short while back.

I think Linux Mint has potential and while it isn't a free distribution today Clem doesn't seem to be hostile to freedom either. Lets keep working on Trisquel and one day Linux Mint will have a free version or being only free software. It's where I'd like to think GNU/Linux in general is going. We are certainly going to push it wherever feasible (mostly on the back end, free drivers, free firmware, OGG Theora based video streaming services, etc).