Rubén actually did that already with Trisquel 5.5. I think it was a hack of Gnome pieces though for the fallback. I'm not involved in the development aspect of Trisquel and haven't done development really for a long time (well, I occasionally file bug reports, and work on customising a particular distribution for mostly personal use, but that hardly counts, and occasionally a little coding).

All in all I'm not sure this fallback design choice is the best way to continue forward. I understand the problem and and see why it was done though. A combination of factors. It would require more work to support two versions basically (fallback and 3d). The project doesn't really have the resources to maintain two versions.

I think ultimately we shouldn't sacrifice features just because some users haven't got the supported hardware. What matters is that the 3d Unity is free (and other similar components we can use) and that there do exist graphics chipsets with free drivers that we can use.

Moving forward means telling users that there bad choices have caught up with them and a hardware upgrade is now required to continue using Trisquel. This will have a positive impact on future support as it increases the demand for free software compatible hardware. It gives people a reason to support free software who might otherwise not (people who are using it for "open source" philosophical reasons rather than free software ones). This is a perfect example of why "open source" is an undesirable / less desirable position to take.

It is actually kind of humorous. I'll leave the names unlisted to avoid an argument here although the people advocating open source or who say they just don't care get mad at those who follow the open source movement's position.

As far as I'm concerned the only question about the transition to 3d is when will the appropriate time is to institute such a major change. I think that change should be made within the next two years probably. Ultimately people will have had a 3-6 year time span in which they could have purchased a free software compatible system. If we assume 4-6 is average very few people should be forced to upgrade who had no-choice at the time they purchased their system.