> Mm, interesting. By the way, the new yeeloong I previously made a
> topic of has been released, yet with very few media coverage and an
> inappropriate price ->
> http://www.tekmote.nl/epages/61504599.sf/nl_NL/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61504599/Products/CFL-008

The GPU is a problem (the boot firmware includes a copy of its nonfree
VGA BIOS which the kernel uses for modesetting, nonfree microcode is
needed for optional acceleration; the first problem might be much easier
than the second one to solve).  There is also no information on what
wifi chipset is used (or what handles the "SIM card port").  A gNewSense
developer considers the HDMI support a problem, I don't know the
details.

> But in an utopic situation, do we have a more freedom-oriented
> architecture other than loongson? I'm not much into ARM chips myself,
> but I wanted to know the freedom perspective of the other chinese
> project, Allwinner, which also comes at a more commendable cost. (Mali
> graphics driver is being reverse engineered already.)

http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/orders/ suggests the GPU being the
only problem (and maybe the MPEG decoder which also isn't needed).
Nearly all ARM chips have GPUs requiring nonfree software (although
these are usually optional, unlike on Raspberry Pi), they also have
optional support for tivoization used on most end user devices like
phones.