The one problem I have with both Xfce and LXDE is they don't ship with an easy way to edit the menus. It's pretty minor, though.

Honestly, I think an Xfce edition, would be a perfectly good idea. It's similar to LXDE, sure, but they're not exactly the same. In particular, I personally think the way Xfce is configured is a lot more intuitive and novice-friendly than the way LXDE is configured.

Has GNOME Shell gotten more configuration options? The only two things that I particularly didn't like about it was having to drag the mouse all the way across the screen (because the menu takes up the whole screen), which is incredibly tedious, and that the menu opens and closes instantly whenever you happen to move the mouse to the top-left corner.