Trisquel being based upon Ubuntu does not mean a new Trisquel version starts with the related Ubuntu ISO. It only means it starts with the related Ubuntu repository. Ubuntu's default choices does not matter much (they only slightly matter because those packages are likely to be more thoroughly tested).

As far as I can see on http://devel.trisquel.info/makeiso/iso/ the next Trisquel 6.0 Toutatis will have a KDE edition (triskel) and an LXDE edition (trisquel-mini) in addition to the GNOME version (trisquel).

I do not see the problem of running GNOME software on top of an LXDE or Xfce desktop. All those desktops use the GTK toolkit: there is no real integration issue.

Thanks to Fedora's work on running GNOME Shell with a software 3D acceleration, there may not be any problem with this choice either.