While this was initially the explanation given they have since flip flopped. The flip flop occurred because the FCC explicitly said there was no such requirement. Everything suggests a financial motive.

I also want to point out that while IBM/Lenovo may have been the first company to implement this they are not the only company implementing a white list.

I can confirm these restrictions are in place on at least some HP, Lenovo, IBM, Dell, and Toshiba notebooks. At this time I don't believe there to be any other manufacturers implementing such restrictions on the installable PCI/PCIe cards.