There was some acknowledgement / agreement that as long as the default settings were within the FCC regulations there was no problem with the source being publicly available. I think having to modify the driver/firmware and then compile it is non-trivial for an end-user. Even for a developer with the knowledge I'd think it is fair to say it is not quite trivial. The way it is distributed a developer has to go through the source code, make some changes, and compile, before the device can be used outside of the FCC regulations.

Don't quote me on that... although I believe this is how things are. I have not done it myself. Only read about it (year(s)? ago when this was all going down).