In my opinion Trisquel has two problems:

1. based on Ubuntu
Ubuntu add more, more and more proprietary software in the repository, kernel and everything. It demand more time to clear the code. Fedora for example doesn't has this, the problem is with Firefox and Linux non-free firmware. I think is more easy to clean Fedora with Linux-libre.

2. Windows-like panel with GNOME 3.
I don't like the Trisquel default look(I use GNOME Shell). It's remember the more known proprietary system from the world. And with recent GNOME it's terrible and annoying. And also demanding more time to do the change. Or change for XFCE or KDE or use default GNOME (but Ubuntu does not have the "default GNOME")