You *do* have a choice: you have a choice of what distro to use (you can use a distro that includes nonfree software if you wish; there are plenty of those), and you can choose to install choice nonfree software yourself.

The whole point of Trisquel is to be free of this nonfree software. If you don't care about the issue of software freedom, this distro isn't for you. But what we, who do care, definitely don't need is for the distros we can use that include no nonfree software to start including nonfree software. There are currently only 8 distros in this category, 5 of which haven't been updated in a long time, and *hundreds* if not thousands of distros that include nonfree software such as drivers and firmware. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian... all of these and many, many others are suitable for people who don't care about freedom. There's even Fedora or OpenBSD (and others, I'm sure) if the only nonfree software you want is firmware.

Clearly, you think nonfree firmware is good because of compatibility. What you are not noticing is that dependence on this nonfree firmware makes you dependent. At some point, the nonfree firmware blob will stop working and the device will be useless. The only way to avoid this is to only buy hardware that works completely with free software, such as what you can find at http://libre.thinkpenguin.com.