Well, you've got the idea, but remember that artwork and other game data (e.g. levels) is copyrighted, not trademarked. Ideally, the game engine would be free (and probably available gratis, too, since there's little point in charging for it), and the game data would be contained in separate files which are nonfree and sold (quite possibly bundled with the free engine, for convenience).

I'm involved in the development of a free replacement for Game Maker called Stellar, and one thing I'm hoping for is to make this type of distribution method easy with it. One barrier is it's incredibly easy to hardcode things into the game, in which case separating the engine from the data can be difficult.